“Reality really has much more up its sleeve than any human being can imagine.”A. H. Almaas
A.H. Almaas (Hameed Ali), renowned author and co-creator of the Diamond Approach, a complete spiritual path that flows out of his direct personal experience and realization, informed by the great wisdom traditions and practices, describes here his own process of inquiry and some of what he has come to discover in his lifelong pursuit to understand the nature of reality and know the truth.
Hameed tells us answers come in the form of experiences rather than words and that there is no end to what we can realize about our true nature and reality itself. He talks about experiencing the authentic presence of being; the dynamics of realization; the paradox of practice; the importance of curiosity; and the joy of discovery. What makes time possible and what makes timelessness possible? What happens when we die? Throughout the conversation, Hameed transmits a quiet exuberance, humor, profound wisdom, and deep peace. This is a remarkable, inspiring, sometimes astonishing dialogue that will illuminate and exhilarate your understanding of the nature of reality and our potential as human beings.
Recorded August 10, 2022.
Topics & Timestamps: Part 1
- Roger introduces Hameed Ali (A. H. Almaas) and the Diamond Approach (01:09)
- The practice of direct inquiry into the fundamental nature of reality: the answers come in experiences rather than words (05:10)
- Trusting reality to take us to what is good for us; reality is self revealing (08:14)
- The “paradox of practice”: recognizing our inherent helplessness and hopelessness (10:19)
- Hameed’s initial opening: recognizing the authentic presence of being (13:06)
- Each awakening has a particular view: nonduality and beyond (15:09)
- Holding on to a view becomes a delusion, regardless of the realization (18:51)
- The “view of totality”: a metaperspective allowing for endless realizations and openings and appreciation of the boundless creativity of the universe (21:37)
- Many teachings are working towards liberation and freedom from suffering, but Hameed “wanted to understand reality and to know the truth” (25:22)
- Enlightenment itself evolves, it keeps moving (28:33)
- The dichotomy between spiritual and material is a construct (35:10)
- Discovery is part of life, part of realization (37:18)
- The completion of realization is going out in the world, learning how to live it (39:04)
Topics & Timestamps: Part 2
- On death: each of us has a particular consciousness that is undying; death is not the end, but how we live our life will influence how we die and afterwards (00:53)
- Is an initial activation—a “close encounter of the third kind with true nature”—a requirement to enter the Ridhwan School? (07:49)
- What is “runaway realization”? There’s no end to what you can realize about reality or yourself (09:18)
- The importance of true curiosity (12:30)
- The experience of pure, absolute time: what makes time possible and timelessness possible? An example of Hameed’s own inquiry process (13:29)
- Spiritual discourse and non-standard realization (15:57)
- Becoming alive to the zen of ordinariness (20:02)
- Hameed’s practice: continual inquiry and meditation (22:31)
- Most of Hameed’s awakenings don’t happen in meditation (24:47)
- The dynamic of realization: practice opens us to grace (25:56)
- Opening to transmission (31:59)
- A new kind of presence: non-standard presence is very important to opening to runaway realization (33:12)
- In the depths of nondual realization something arises (36:51)
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos
Image created via MidJourney
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound-tech infused KUNDALINI:
The Energy of Awakening.
Infinity is a potent catalyst for spiritual evolution and a groundbreaking leap forward in brainwave entrainment where nothingness and “everythingness” converge into a seamless whole. This revolutionary program guides you into the lambda brainwave state, propelling you to new heights of transcendent consciousness, ineffable stillness, and radiant insight.
Infinity guides you in:
- Unlocking transcendent states of consciousness
- Accelerating spiritual evolution
- Raising Kundalini and opening/balancing the chakras
Check out the free sample:
About the Deep Transformation series
We are clearly in a new era, facing world-threatening challenges and graced with barely conceivable opportunities. In this mind-boggling new world, we all face two crucial questions:
- First, the ever-present conundrum of how to best live fully, deeply, wisely, and well.
Second, the new question unique to our times, how to best understand and heal our endangered world.
- Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hear responses to these questions from some of the great consciousness pioneers—the outstanding thinkers, sages, scientists, and activists—of our time? These are the people and conversations that Deep Transformation offers.
Deep Transformation: Self-Society-Spirit draws on diverse ideas from around the world. It goes beyond traditional positions and polarities—beyond left and right, material and spiritual—to seek syntheses of deep wisdom and practical know-how that integrate the best of all positions.
Click here to learn more about Deep Transformation!
About A. H. Almaas
A. H. Almaas is the pen name of A. Hameed Ali, founder of the Diamond Approach to Self-Realization, a contemporary teaching that developed within the context of both ancient spiritual teachings and modern depth psychology theories. Almaas has authored eighteen books about spiritual realization, including the Diamond Heart series, The Pearl Beyond Price, The Void, and The Alchemy of Freedom.
About John Dupuy
John Dupuy is co-founder and CEO of iAwake Technologies, a company that creates cutting-edge, high-tech brainwave entrainment soundtracks that support the healing of emotional/shadow issues, deepen meditation, mental focus, creativity, and flow states, and enhance a daily integral transformative practice. John has been working personally and professionally with brainwave entrainment technology since 2004, and travels internationally to teach and inspire on the subjects of Integral Transformative Practice and Integral Recovery®. John is also the author of Integral Recovery: A Revolutionary Approach to the Treatment of Alcoholism and Addiction (SUNY Press, 2013), winner of the 2013 USA Best Book Award, and co-host of the popular Journey of Integral Recovery podcast. John also hosts the online series Spiritual Tech Talks 2.0, in which he converses with leaders, pioneers, and inventors on the current wave of emerging spiritual technologies.
About Roger Walsh
Roger Walsh, M.D., Ph.D., has spent nearly a quarter century researching and practicing in the world's great spiritual traditions. His critically acclaimed book, Essential Spirituality, is a summary of that wisdom, outlining the seven spiritual practices common to the world's major religions.