“It is not a separation. I am because you are, and you are because I am.”Susanne Cook-Greuter
Adult psychology pioneer and ego development expert Susanne Cook-Greuter introduces us to her favorite wisdom teacher: Nature. Susanne explains how Integral Theory’s 3-2-1 Process can be practiced with elements in nature to gain greater insight into the teachings of nature—evolution, cycles of life and death, the transience of life, the beauty that is everywhere—and to experience oneness with all. She notes that indigenous wisdom is based on deep connection with nature, and speaks of ubuntu, the concept of a shared humanity that reveals an entirely different understanding of self than what we have in the West.
Susanne’s is a uniquely valuable perspective, informed and inspired by her many years at the cutting edge of what we know about adult psychological growth and development, and from being an integralist from the beginning of Ken Wilber’s Integral Theory project and a beloved elder in the worldwide Integral community today. Susanne explains that people at every stage of development have gifts to give that we need to pay attention to, and that individuals at later stages of development are not necessarily more virtuous because of it.
Recorded November 15, 2021.
Topics & Timestamps
- Introducing adult development pioneer Susanne Cook-Greuter, who integrated her cutting-edge psychological development research with the wisdom of the great traditions and Integral Theory (01:31)
- Why nature is a better teacher than our human teachers (06:47)
- The teachings of nature: the transience of life, evolution, cycles of life and death, and how indigenous knowledge is based on a real connection with nature (09:12)
- Susanne introduces the 3-2-1 Nature Process, an Integral practice to gain wisdom and experience oneness (11:37)
- The feeling of belonging to nature leads to acting ethically (18:40)
- The need to re-own our fundamental connection with nature (21:51)
- Finding beauty in everything (22:38)
- Zen, developmental theory, humility, and ordinariness (27:29)
- Paying attention to what people at all levels have to give (29:04)
- Being at higher levels of development allows you to talk authentically with people at all levels and not get lost in abstraction (32:58)
- The healing capacity of nature and the acquisition mindset that has brain-washed so many (36:10)
- The deplorable state of children’s Christmas toys (40:53)
- The miracle of our body (42:21)
- What are some practical ways we can cultivate virtues? (43:30)
- Ubuntu and indigenous wisdom’s completely different understanding of self (49:17)
- The huge importance of role models to stimulate developmental growth, especially for children (50:55)
- Later stage people aren’t necessarily more virtuous (53:14)
- How did we get into this mess? (58:22)
- Let’s start with re-educating children and foster real play and imagination (01:00:20)
- Susanne’s mission now: to describe the developmental model for lay people using a fable situated at Walden Pond (01:05:21)
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos
Image created via MidJourney
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound-tech infused Schumann Holophonic.
Experience the centering, grounding frequencies of the Earth’s resonance. Schumann Holophonic contains soundtracks embedded with the brainwave pattern that matches the energetic pulses of the Earth, called the Schumann Resonance.
Check out the free sample:
About the Deep Transformation series
We are clearly in a new era, facing world-threatening challenges and graced with barely conceivable opportunities. In this mind-boggling new world, we all face two crucial questions:
- First, the ever-present conundrum of how to best live fully, deeply, wisely, and well.
Second, the new question unique to our times, how to best understand and heal our endangered world.
- Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hear responses to these questions from some of the great consciousness pioneers—the outstanding thinkers, sages, scientists, and activists—of our time? These are the people and conversations that Deep Transformation offers.
Deep Transformation: Self-Society-Spirit draws on diverse ideas from around the world. It goes beyond traditional positions and polarities—beyond left and right, material and spiritual—to seek syntheses of deep wisdom and practical know-how that integrate the best of all positions.
About Susanne Cook-Greuter
Dr. Susanne Cook-Greuter, born in Switzerland, is an internationally known authority on mature adult development, continuing the work of developmental pioneer Jane Loevinger. Her thesis, Postautonomous Ego Development (1999), is a landmark study in the characteristics and assessment of highly developed and influential individuals and leaders. She holds a doctorate in education from Harvard University, and is also a founding member of Integral Institute.
About John Dupuy
John Dupuy is co-founder and CEO of iAwake Technologies, a company that creates cutting-edge, high-tech brainwave entrainment soundtracks that support the healing of emotional/shadow issues, deepen meditation, mental focus, creativity, and flow states, and enhance a daily integral transformative practice. John has been working personally and professionally with brainwave entrainment technology since 2004, and travels internationally to teach and inspire on the subjects of Integral Transformative Practice and Integral Recovery®. John is also the author of Integral Recovery: A Revolutionary Approach to the Treatment of Alcoholism and Addiction (SUNY Press, 2013), winner of the 2013 USA Best Book Award, and co-host of the popular Journey of Integral Recovery podcast. John also hosts the online series Spiritual Tech Talks 2.0, in which he converses with leaders, pioneers, and inventors on the current wave of emerging spiritual technologies.
About Roger Walsh
Roger Walsh, M.D., Ph.D., has spent nearly a quarter century researching and practicing in the world's great spiritual traditions. His critically acclaimed book, Essential Spirituality, is a summary of that wisdom, outlining the seven spiritual practices common to the world's major religions.