Become a supporting member to watch the full conversation
Humanity is entering the Transformation Age, a new era of human civilization, with Integral Consciousness rising at its leading edge. Our members don’t use Integral Life as just another media subscription they use weekly or discard. Instead, most stay with us for years, using Integral Life to learn Integral Philosophy and build an integral mind slowly, methodically and when they need it. We’re here to help you shape the future that’s emerging no matter where your life takes you.Get Full Access For $1 (30 days)* Or explore all membership plans → * Trial price for the first 30 days, then $20/month. Cancel or switch plans in 2 minutes at any time.
Keith Martin-Smith and Jason Lange explore the challenges and ongoing evolution of masculinity. Watch as they delve into topics such as the impact of societal norms on men’s behavior, the importance of emotional intelligence, and the journey from traditional to more integrated forms of masculinity, bringing a wealth of insights to help men navigate their roles and identities in a rapidly changing social landscape.
Aren’t men doing just fine these days? On top of most industries, running most businesses, and outearning their female counterparts, among other privileges?
A small percentage of men are indeed doing very well, financially at least, but overall men are actually the worst they’ve been in a generation.
Men have three times the suicide rate of women, die younger (and that gap is growing, currently 7 years), are more prone to cause and suffer from catastrophic violence, are graduating at far lower rates from both high school and college, and are suffering from a generational “failure to launch” into careers, parenthood, and homeownership.
Even those men who are doing well financially are often struggling with depression or rage, alcoholism, or just being shut down emotionally. And their marriages and their children suffer.
What is wrong with men today? And what can be done to help them find a healthy expression of their deepest masculinity?
Join author and men’s work guide Keith Martin-Smith and his longtime friend, Jason Lange, a men’s embodiment coach, group facilitator, and evolutionary guide. Jason helps men drop in and wake up to deeper clarity in their life’s purpose and relationships, and believes every man should be in a men’s group for the growth and support opportunities they provide.
Text by Keith Martin-Smith
Images and maps by Corey deVos
Here are some questions you can contemplate while listening to this discussion. We suggest you take some time to use these as journaling prompts.
- Personal Role in Masculine Evolution: How do I view my role in the evolution of masculinity, and in what ways can I contribute to a healthier, more holistic expression of masculinity in society?
- Moral Evolution in Relation to Masculinity: How have my views on what it means to be a ‘good man’ evolved over time, and how does this reflect broader changes in societal norms and expectations of masculinity?
- Understanding Vulnerability in Developmental Context: How do I interpret and integrate my vulnerabilities and strengths in the context of my personal journey towards mature masculinity?
- Media’s Impact on Masculine Identity: How does the portrayal of men in media influence my understanding of masculinity, and how can I seek out or advocate for more diverse and complex representations?
- Balancing Strength and Openness: In what ways do I balance traditional masculine traits like strength and decisiveness with openness and emotional vulnerability in my daily life?
- Navigating Masculinity in Digital Age: How do modern communication platforms, like social media, influence my expression of masculinity and my interactions with others?
- Contemplating Masculinity in a Rapidly Changing World: In an era of significant social and technological change, how do I adapt and evolve my understanding of masculinity to remain relevant and positive?
- Deepening Emotional Connections: How often do I engage in genuinely deep emotional connections, and how does this affect my relationships and understanding of masculinity?
- Embracing a Conscious Approach to Masculinity: Given the complex nature of modern masculinity, how can I consciously evolve my understanding and expression of masculinity to benefit my personal growth and positively impact those around me?
Keith Martin-Smith’s When The Buddha Needs Therapy is now shipping!
It is possible to be liberated from the suffering of this world, but the path is a paradoxical one of embracing your ego even as you let it go. If you seek true liberation and freedom from the seemingly endless strife of life, you’re in the right place.
Previous Episodes of Buddha In Therapy
The Power of Vulnerability: Embracing an Integrated Masculinity
Sex, Identity, Gender: Beyond Wokism and Trumpism
What Is a Man (And Why Does It Matter?)
Shadow, Trauma, and Attachment: Why Do Spiritual Teachers Keep Messing Up?
Shadows of Development
The Highest Stages of Conscious Development
Perspectives on Development: Introducing the STAGES Model
How to Build a Conscious Community
Therapy & Awakening: A New Integration
Who Awakens? How to Be Free From Your Freedom
Become a member today to watch this video presentation and support the global emergence of Integral consciousness
Membership benefits include:
Receive full access to weekly conversations hosted by leading thinkers
Receive full access to the growing Journal of Integral Theory & Practice library
Stay connected by participating in Integral Life live events and discussions
Courses & Products
Get unlimited 20% discount off all products and courses from our friends and partners
Free Bonus Gifts
Download The Integral Vision eBook by Ken Wilber (worth $19 on Amazon) & The Ken Wilber Biography Series
Support of the movement
Support our mission of educating and spreading integral consciousness that is more critical than at any time in its history
About Keith Martin-Smith
Keith Martin-Smith is an award-winning author, writing coach, and Zen priest. He is passionate about human connection, creativity, and evolution. His books include "The Mysterious Divination of Tea Leaves", "A Heart Blown Open", and "The Heart of Zen". His most recent book is his first novel, "Only Everything", a novel that explores the promise and the pain of following an artist's path.
About Jason Lange
Jason Lange is a filmmaker, founder of Evolutionary Men, a men’s embodiment coach, group facilitator, evolutionary guide, and the host of Evolutionary Men Podcast. Drawing from many disciplines and modalities, Jason applies an integral framework to all his work, making them more effective.